Return to the front page
St Bertoline's is a 15th-16th century Perpendicular church with chancel rebuilt by Austin and Paley in 1925-26. It has a four-bay nave with aisles and clerestorey and a north porch; a chapel (the Crewe Chapel) of c.1528 on the south side of the chancel and a vestry on the north side. The oldest feature, however, is an elaborate 12th century doorway.
St Bertoline was an 8th century prince who became a hermit after the death of his wife and lived on an island in the River Sow in Staffordshire.
Robert Offley Ashburton Crewe-Milnes, 1st Marquess of Crewe KG PC FSA (12 January 1858 20 June 1945), known as The Lord Houghton from 1885 to 1895 and as The Earl of Crewe from 1895 to 1911, was a British Liberal politician, statesman and writer.
The Crewe Chapel.
Robert Fulleshurst was the last Rector before the Reformation.
Sybil, first wife of the Marquis of Crewe, who was just 30 when she died in 1887.
"... drowned at sea at Alexandria".
Richard George Archibald John Lucian Hungerford Crewe-Milnes, Earl of Madeley (19111922).
A brother and sister died from Scarlet Fever on consecutive days and were buried in the same grave.
William was a Gardener and Baliff for Lord Crewe for "near half a century".
Anne died on Christmas Day 1855 and her sister, Mary, died 3 days later.
Aged 8 hours.
A general view.
Claire Christine Nicholson and Martin Piers Nicholson - Ticklerton (Shropshire) and Daventry (Northhamptonshire), United Kingdom.
This page was last updated on August 28th 2017.