Martin Nicholson's Cemetery Project

Bury St Edmunds Cathedral, Suffolk

Return to the front page

St Edmundsbury Cathedral (formally entitled the Cathedral Church of St James) is the cathedral for the Church of England's Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. It is the seat of the Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich and is in Bury St Edmunds. Originating in the 11th century, it was rebuilt in the 12th and 16th centuries as a parish church and became a cathedral in 1914; it has been considerably enlarged in recent decades.

One for the Latin scholars amongst the readership - the early death of two children is easy to work out.

William Norford was a Doctor. He had 7 sons and 5 daughters by his second wife. One of his sons was also a Doctor, another served in the Navy and a third in the Army.

It is unusual to find a war memorial for members of a single school.

Benjamin was Head Teacher of the Royal School. He had 3 sons - Benjamin was an Indian Judge, Frederick was a Fellow of Trinity College Cambridge and Charles died at school.

There were some spectacular gardens near the cathedral.

Claire Christine Nicholson and Martin Piers Nicholson - Ticklerton (Shropshire) and Daventry (Northhamptonshire), United Kingdom.

This page was last updated on August 11th 2017.