Return to the front page
To cater for the growing community in Hanley Swan in the mid-19th century, a new church with seating for 420 was built on a site given by Sir Edmund Lechmere and paid for at a cost of £6000 by a retired Liverpool merchant, Samuel Martin, who lived in one of the big houses along Roberts End. He added all the stained glass in the east window in 1878. The church was designed in the Gothic Revival style by the pre-eminent architect of the Victorian era, Sir George Gilbert Scott, who also designed the Albert Memorial and St Pancras station in London. The church spire of Bath stone contains a peal of six bells.
Gwendolyn Howse served in the Womens Royal Naval Service.
The east window was a blaze of light on this sunny day in mid-March.
A superb example of Kempe stained glass: The Annunciation.
Claire Christine Nicholson and Martin Piers Nicholson - Ticklerton (Shropshire) and Daventry (Northhamptonshire), United Kingdom.
This page was last updated on March 14th 2016.